• A-
  • A
  • A+

About College

Government Dental College,Trivandrum

             The Thiruvananthapuram Government Dental College started during the year 1959. Till 1953 there were no dental colleges in South India. In an attempt to provide avenues for formal dental education, dental colleges were started at four state capitals of southern states. Dr.A.R.Menon was the Minister for Health when the Thiruvananthapuram Dental College was started. Dental College was first started as a part of the Medical College Hospital, Thiruvananthapuram. Dr.M.Thangavelu, who was the Principal of the Medical College during the period, was instrumental in the initial organization of the institution. Dr.A.M.Clement, Dental Surgeon in the Medical College, was appointed as the first Director of Dental College. The first building of the Dental College was commissioned during 1962. In the same year, BDS degree was recognised by the Dental Council of India.  Nearly 2000 students have graduated from this great Institution so far.  Initially 30 students were admitted yearly, which later increased to 40 admissions. BDS seats were increased to 50 per year from 2010 onwards.   More...